Last month I spoke at the New Mexico Library Association‘s Young Adult Luncheon (Shh…don’t tell I don’t write YA!). It was wonderful and satisfying and kind of embarrassing.
I broke down three times while talking to this room packed with people I’d never met before. Why? I shared three things that really struck a chord in me:
- My story about coming home to New Mexico and visiting my childhood library.
- “Words Inspiring Words,” my poem about Sharon Creech‘s beautiful verse novel, LOVE THAT DOG.
- My three-o’clock-in-the-morning thoughts about a former student, a girl I know I failed as a teacher.
- On vulnerability: “In order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen…It’s not comfortable but is beautiful.”
- Defining courage: “Tell the story of who you are with your whole heart.”