Karen Strong asked what books, conferences, etc. have helped in learning craft. There’s nothing earth shattering in this post, just basic things that have helped me improve my writing.
- Betsy Lerner’s The Forest for the Trees (encouraged me to keep writing with small children at home)
- Anne Lamott’s Bird by Bird (her one-inch picture frame has gotten me through many first drafts)
- Christopher Vogler’s The Writer’s Journey (an excellent look at archetypes and story structure)
- Renni Browne and Dave King’s Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (great handbook)
- Darci Pattison’s Novel Metamorphosis (excellent tool for revision)
- Writer’s Digest magazine is a great monthly read