An interesting breakdown of middle grade novels published in 2022.
The Middle Grade Landscape :: Sam Subity
“The most important lesson I’ve gained over my thirteen years in publishing is that my personal identity cannot be tied to the success or failure of my books. I cannot think I am better or more deserving when my books do well; I cannot think I am worse or less deserving when my books perform poorly.
I work hard. You work hard. This industry is not a meritocracy. I do not have to be okay with this truth. I do not have to think it is fair. I just have to remember that it IS the truth (right now) and therefore my success ≠ who I am.”
Grieving the Loss of a Dream :: Susan Dennard
“Having completed just forty years of what was without question a most stormy life, Edgar Allan Poe took leave of this realm early Sunday morning, October 7, 1849. Nobody knows precisely why. Indeed, like so many aspects of his life, his death has been the topic of endless debate, conjecture, speculation, guessing, and second-guessing.”
Why does the mystery of Edgar Allan Poe’s death still haunt us? :: Crime Reads
As a verse novelist who drafts by ear, I love this.
The writer is the composer, the reader is the musician of the book :: Austin Kleon
I’ve learned so much from Laura Purdie Salas over the years. “Here’s what served me the best when I first started having books published. Keep improving my writing craft, largely through 1) analyzing books I love, 2) courses/conferences, 3) writing a lot—so much that even when only 10% of it was worth deep revision and submission, it was worth the other 90%, and 4) building a writing community, both in-person and online. As an introvert, I struggle with the in-person part. But my kidlit community is a large part of my being able to sustain a writing career!”
Laura Purdie Salas, Children’s Author & Speaker :: Renner Writers